West Oak Medical is pleased to announce that Yan Liu, a Registered Dietitian has joined the team.
Yan Liu MSc. RD
Ms. Yan Liu is a Registered Dietitian with the College of Dietitians of Ontario and a member of Dietitian of Canada. She has a Masters Degree in Food Science and Nutrition and have been working for more than 10 years in nutrition areas, including nutrition counseling, education, program development and management.
She has been providing individual nutrition counseling services and group education to the different age groups of patients at Hospital, Diabetes Education Centre, Long-term care and family physicians’ clinics across Greater Toronto Area. She was also engaged in School Nutrition Programs of Toronto Public Health, Diabetes health educators training programs and delivering group education and cooking workshops in different communities.
In the past, she also worked as Nutritionist and Nutrition Program Association in NGOs where she implemented various nutrition programs to improve nutrition and health of population, especially for women and children. She has gained extensive experiences in nutrition counselling regarding to pregnancy, pediatric nutrition and chronic disease management for adults.
Nowadays, increasing incidents of cancer, diabetes, arthritis, depressions, heart disease, Alzheimer’s… It is difficult to change the genes, however, it is certain that improve eating habits and lifestyle can help reduce the risks of getting the diseases.
Yan believes that nutrition counselling and group education makes a difference of people’s health. It is never too late to eat healthily and be active. Even a tiny change, the body knows it.
As a mother of three children, she is very passionate in introducing and helping children establish good healthy eating habits and lifestyles at their earlier ages to prevent and reduce the risk of chronic diseases in the future.
Nutrition Counseling Services provided including:
We provide personalized nutrition counseling based on client’s clinical conditions:
- Cardiovascular Disease (LDL, HTN, Atherosclerosis, Ischemic Heart Disease and others)
- Diabetes (Pre, Type1, Type-2)
- GI issues (e.g. IBS, Crohn’s disease, celiac disease)
- Eating Disorders
- Bone Health (Osteoporosis/Arthritis)
- Liver/gallbladder Disease
- Renal disease
- Anemia (e.g.Iron Deficiency)
- Neurological Disorders (e.g. Parkinson’s disease, stroke, ALD, Epilepsy)
- Weight management
- Food Allergies/Intolerance/Sensitivity
- Healthy eating/Food safety
- Nutrients supplementation
- Weight control
- Blood sugar control
- Infant and young child feeding (0-24m)
- Food Allergies/Intolerance/Sensitivity
- Delayed texture progression
- GI Concerns (e.g. IBS, IBD, Celiac Disease)
- Micronutrient Deficiency (Ca, vitamin D, Zinc…)
- Picky Eating
- Mental illness (ASD, ADHD, Seizures)
-We also offer individual counselling for
- Planning balanced meals and snacks
- Healthy vegetarian diets
- Learn how to read food labels
- How to make healthier choices when eating out
- Grocery shopping for healthier foods
- Deciding if you would benefit taking vitamins or supplements
- Fitness/Sports Nutrition
Healthy Pregnancy Workshop targeting women who are pregnant or plan to have a baby and aim to improve their food and nutrition intake in order to meet the maternal and fetal nutrition requirements during pregnancy. During the workshop, the participants learn healthy eating, portion control, food safety, healthy pregnancy weight management, breastfeeding, blood sugar control, healthy snack and meal plan and nutrition tips to manage common discomforts: nausea, fatigue, heartburns, constipations, water retention…
Chronic Disease Management Workshop targeting clients who have chronic diseases and are looking for nutrition therapies for management the chronic disease: such as diabetes, hypercholestrol,…The workshop presents the contents of healthy eating, portion control, weight management, physical activities, various macronutrients and micronutrients needs, healthy meal plan, diets help with diseases control…
Healthy Groceries Shopping Tour individuals or families who want to improve their healthy eating habits through healthy food shopping, learn the tips of how to choose healthier foods by visiting the local grocery stores or supermarket.